- Position: Director, Project Operations
- Company: Asset Management Client
- Location: Boston, MA
- Reporting to: Leadership team of our client
BSG has commenced an executive search for a Director, Project Operations for our client, an asset management
equity firm in the renewable energy sector. This individual will be responsible for building and leading world-class capabilities in project development, project management and project oversight to enable the successful underwriting, construction, operation, and management of emerging sustainable infrastructure solutions.
Director, Project Operations
Our client has more than $150 million assets under management and offers a dynamic approach to faster growth for companies that deploy smaller-scale projects and equipment. Using their specialized capital model, our client partners with entrepreneurs in the renewable energy industries to help them offer their customers solutions. Partnering with strong management teams, our client focuses on solutions with significant positive impacts on the world's natural resources. Our client believes this approach offers the optimal long term economic and social impacts and benefits.
Reporting to the leadership team of our client (2 General Partners and 1 Managing General Partner), the Director of Project Operations (also referred to as Head of Asset Management and Operating Partner), will be responsible for building and leading world-class capabilities in project development, project management and project oversight to enable the successful underwriting, construction, operation, and management of emerging sustainable infrastructure solutions.
- Provide accurate and timely technical diligence of our client's prospective investment commitments:
- Coordinate with team, external engineers, potential portfolio companies to provide timely insights and conclusions.
- Communicate effectively to the team the risks of each investment and their possible mitigation
- Be an effective support for the portfolio companies' project development activities:
- Build good rapport with the portfolio company management and engage within the first few weeks of an investment to develop a support plan.
- Proactively identify development risks and mitigation steps for portfolio company pipeline projects and communicate those to our client and the portfolio company.
- Validate that development projects meet our client's criteria for funding.
- Build our client's team knowledge on best development practices over time.
- Ensure that the construction of portfolio company projects hits the required milestones:
- Develop an oversight mechanism appropriate for project's scale and risk with the portfolio companies prior to the projects being built.
- Flag to our client and portfolio management any issues on construction as they become apparent.
- Oversee project operations and maintenance:
- Provide our client with timely performance data and opportunities for optimization.
- Identify and mitigate operational risks.
- Ensure best practices include environmental, health and safety.
- Establish contingency plans to fulfill portfolio company operational responsibilities:
- Define and prepare strategies to step into deeper obligations in case of portfolio company distress or underperformance.
- Scale the group as needed:
- Build an A team to grow the scope of the function as our client grows.
- Live the values of our client:
- "Happy soldier".
- Treat investors like we treat ourselves.
- We do this because of the impact we can have.
- Honest and straightforward.
- Growth mindset accepting of constructive feedback.
- Supportive and inclusive.
The Operating Partner will be a seasoned and mature leader with significant experience across engineering, project development, and project management in the sustainable resource industry. The successful candidate will have the ability to function on a broad-based, strategic level and see the "big picture", whilst also being hands-on and capable of diving into the details and data when needed.
The Operating Partner will have the following experience and attributes:
- 15+ years work experience across engineering, project development, and project management.
- B.S. in engineering.
- Prior people management experience (cross-functional and direct line reporting relationship).
- Experience in sustainable energy/renewable energy industry in EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) leadership role.
- Industrial grade sustainable energy experience (vs. residential).
- Experience across multiple sustainable resources verticals and comfort with emerging technologies.
- Private company experience at some point in career background.
- Collaborative approach, working with 3rd parties to mentor and build best-in-class operational practices.
- Cross-functional capability to evaluate technical and project development risks from a commercial and investment lens.
- Individual scalability (both up and down) to both be a hands-on practitioner and also grow and manage a team.
- Comfort and experience in smaller company environments.
- Drive to grow a new team and function over a 5+ year horizon.
- PMP, PMI-ACP, CAPM, AECPM or other project management certification designation desired.
- M&A acquisition integration experience desired.
- Demonstrable passion for driving results.
- Hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.
Compensation is competitive with the position's requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on qualitative milestones, as well as a percentage of carried interest.
To Submit Resume: