- Chief Operating Officer
- Reporting to: CEO
- Location: San Diego/Orange County CA
BSG has commenced an executive search for Chief Operating Officer for our client, a nationwide organization providing services sold into the national residential construction industry The COO oversee a national operations team of approximately 75+ employees spread throughout the United States and provide leadership, management, and vision to ensure that the company delivers exceptional operational outcomes to meet agreed upon growth objectives.
Cheif Operating Officer
Headquartered in San Diego, CA, our client is a nationwide organization providing services sold into the national residential construction industry. Established over 25 years ago, our client is the United States' largest and most respected solution provider for new building construction. Backed by a team of architects, engineers and inspectors with over 50 years collective experience and expertise in the industry, our client has developed a software platform and database that addresses construction risk, encourages collaboration and delivers qualitative and quantitative data - allowing builders to effectively make informed business decisions.Our client has a broad litigation experience and lengthy history of performing commercial and residential inspections for the construction industry. The valuable lessons gained from analyzing and repairing the hundreds of building projects have formed our clients' database -used to assess builder quality and reduce construction errors.
Our client has more data on construction than any other company in the world. When insurance carriers refused to insure construction in California, our client went to all the major financial centers and provided insurance carriers with demonstrative risk data to show that construction was not as risky as originally concluded. Our client has created all of the compliance metrics that are used today by the majority of insurance carriers.
Detail of Responsibilities
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Operating Officer of our client will oversee a national operations team of approximately 75+ employees spread throughout the United States. The COO will provide leadership, management, and vision to ensure that the company delivers exceptional operational outcomes to meet agreed upon growth objectives.
Specific Responsibilities & Key Deliverables:
- Drive quality and profitability to meet or exceed company objectives
- Create clarity of roles and full accountability for performance of the business in terms of top line growth and efficiency (earnings) that are sufficiently predictive to enable near real-time intervention into problem areas
- Assess organizational structure and recommend changes for optimization and efficiency
- Develop appropriate KPI's to measure and predict performance top line growth, efficiency, etc.
- Partner with senior leadership team to evaluate current strategies of organization to ensure continued growth and success
- Continually drive innovation within operations
- Champion the recruiting, selecting, orientating, training, coaching and disciplining of the operations team as needed
- Champion the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of organizational management protocols, practices, and tools
FUNCTIONAL skills/experience needed:
- Field services leadership experience (distributed team)
- Prior national operations scope experience (national customer base/national brands)
- Operations team leadership of at least 75+ employees
- Proven experience in process strategy and implementation
- Organizational assessment and strategy
- KPI development and management
- Experience working in highly complex organizations
- Recruitment, selection and on-boarding/training
INDUSTRY Experience: Construction Services
STAGE of Company Experience
- Residential construction services
- Non-Residential (commercial) construction
- Emerging/growth phase of company development & rapid revenue growth, $20-$100M+
- Experience working with founders, investors, and board directors in closely held companies
MANAGEMENT & Leadership Experience
- Experience reporting to CEO/President in past
- Experience leading team of significant size
- Successful history meeting and exceeding KPI's and key metrics for organizations
- Passion for and prior history of creating high performing teams
- "Player-coach" approach to management/leadership
- Defined by others as smart, capable, hands-on, energetic, and someone who possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Building scalable management processes without suffocating innovation/speed
- Remote/virtual team management
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate high standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals' capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company as a whole.
- Demonstrated success as a people leader, including the ability to set and gain buy-in for strategic direction and vision, attract, hire, retain, and develop high performing teams, and establish an engaging culture of accountability, quality, and customer focus.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and actions consistent with our client's values.
The operations team consists of approximately 75+ employees spread throughout the United States. In addition, there are 25 corporate employees, with headquarters located in San Diego.
A Los Angeles-based investment firm has invested in our client.
Compensation is competitive with the position's requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, a bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative business development targets, and an equity component.
To Submit Resume: