- Chief Executive Officer
- Reporting to: President
- Location: Newton, MA
BSG has commenced an executive search for Chief Executive Officer (CEO) for our client, a Research and Development (R&D) technology company. The CEO will be responsible for the day-to-day management and leadership of the organization and will partner with the leaders and scientists in managing all operational aspects of the company and ensuring the aggressive and successful growth of the business and commercial success.
Chief Executive Officer
In the 1970's, a doctor founded our client's Research and Development (R&D) technology company. After studying and working in Germany, this doctor relocated to the United States and worked for various technology and security products and services companies. Today, our client's products are used all over the world, serving customers and OEMs from its research laboratories, manufacturing facilities and corporate offices in Newton, Massachusetts, USA.
Our client is a world renowned center of excellence for Research and development technology. Their experienced team of 40+ experienced scientists includes twelve PhD's, who seek technology solutions to the toughest business and operational problems.
Our client also has a special manufacturing team with experience dating back to the early days of the development of polymer electrolyte membrane electrolysis technology for the Gemini Space Program. The most important stakeholders for our client are their customers and partners. Many of their customer relationships are going strong after a decade or more - such as their long-term partnership with GM.
Many innovative start-up companies look to our client for assistance with key specific technology components for their up and coming products and solutions. Government agencies, for example NASA, are key supporters of inventive R&D programs. Our client's partners work together on programs where they manufacture prototypes of parts, products and systems for assimilation into market ready solutions.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Reporting to the President of our client, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day management and leadership of the organization and will partner with the leaders and scientists in managing all operational aspects of the company and ensuring the aggressive and successful growth of the business and commercial success.
Build Great Talent and Teams
- Lead vision for the company and confirm overall strategy from development to launch and scale; including long-term goals. Drive growth, profitability, and company value:
- Drive and expand Innovation labs success
- Drive commercialization and channel partner execution
- Develop 3-year product roadmap
- Provide guidance to all functional areas, including strategy, operations, sales and product.
- Develop and implement scalable and efficient strategies to ensure both consistent results and exponential growth.
Execute with Excellence
- Attract, retain and develop world-class talent.
- Cultivate an entrepreneurial and high-performing culture.
- Empower the team towards autonomous delivery, while exercising appropriate balance of control.
Win in the Marketplace
- Drive day-to-day operations.
- Align resources to achieve key business priorities.
- Proactively mitigate business, operational and governance risks.
- Lead funding/grant efforts to support continued growth and commercial success.
- Successfully execute and expand upon current contracts.
- Drive continuous improvement and commercial toolset.
- Manage competition and threats in the marketplace, with constant evaluation of financial structure, capital strategy and strategic priorities.
- Own P&L and cash flow. Manage burn rate while growing the business.
- Regularly report updates to Board of Directors and corporate stakeholders regarding progress on strategic priorities, and collaborate with Board of Directors to accelerate progress.
- Invest in strategic partnerships and relationships where necessary to drive growth.
Qualifications and Expertise
- Prior experience as multi-functional P&L Leader.
- Past experience in CEO, President, General Manager or COO role.
- Significant experience overseeing multiple functional disciplines such as R&D,
Operations, Business Development, Manufacturing, Commercial, etc.
- Specific technology and/or materials research industry experience.
- Successful experience in an entrepreneurial, growth-stage corporate environment:
- $15m to $50m revenue size organizational experience
- Development and commercialization stage preferable
- Comfort and success in obtaining and managing government grants preferable.
- Experience managing Board of Directors and corporate stakeholders to keep regular updates on business performance and progress.
- B.A. or B.S. required; Masters or PhD in chemical engineering strongly preferred.
Skills and Personal Characteristics
- Builder leader vs. optimizer leader.
- Private company experience in career background in last 10 years.
- Defined by others as smart, capable, hands-on, energetic, and someone who possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- History of building and creating a strong culture within an organization.
- Ability to drive consensus among leaders and teams.
- Proven track record of building successful products and high caliber teams from the ground up.
- Visionary executive profile, with ability to guide a company through all phases of growth.
Our client's team currently numbers approximately 45+ employees. This role will report to the President and will oversee all R&D and technical staff.
Compensation is competitive with the position's requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and stock appreciation rights.