- Chief Operating Officer
- Reporting to & Partnering with: Chief Executive Officer
- Location: Bangor, Maine
BSG has commenced an executive search for Chief Operating Officer for our client, an energy-saving filtration product manufacturer that uses genetic information technology and ceramic materials. The COO will be responsible for leading all the operational, development, and manufacturing functions of the company as well as leading and growing a current team of 10+ people.
Chief Operating Officer
Our client was founded in 2011 to create energy-saving filtration products using genetic information technology and ceramic materials. Combining a pure and durable single filter product makes our clients' filter useful throughout a broad range of industries and applications.
Our client has invented the first ceramic filter that filters at high purity and low pressure. The patented filter saves manufacturers money by reducing the energy used during production. It can purify water three times faster and remove contaminants 10 x smaller than other ceramic membranes used today. It can operate in harsh conditions and thus can displace energy intensive methods used in circumstances where competing filters cannot work. Our client's filter conserves both water and energy, which is a cornerstone of clean technology.
Our client's filtration devices can remove impurities from the water that are 100 x smaller than a virus. The innovative filtration technology is not only more efficient, it's also more cost-effective and environmentally sustainable. According to our client's research, a company that replaced commercial evaporators with our client's filtration device in a process needed to remove 6,000 gallons of water a day in an industrial setting could save enough energy to remove 1,200 tons of carbon from the environment per year, equivalent of the amount of carbon removed by 400 acres of forest.
Our client brought in a B round of venture financing in 2018, which is allowing the company to expand headcount, and buy a second facility. In even more exciting news, the company signed a nearly 7 figure contract in May with a Fortune 50 company. According to our client's Chief Executive Officer, their products offer an extremely effective and uncomplicated way to treat wastewater at this facility, achieving 90 percent recovery and reducing chemical oxygen demand (COD) by over 95 percent.
Our client is seeking a Chief Operating Officer who will report to and partner with the CEO to scale the company in its next phase of rapid growth as it deploys its game-changing technology. Key to the position's responsibilities will be to lead all the operational, development, and manufacturing functions of the company as well as leading and growing a current team of 10+ people.
- Work with the executive team to bring the firm's flagship product through scaled manufacturing, including all supply chain, sourcing, quality assurance (ISO 9002) and overall manufacturability.
- Inspire, manage, top-grade and grow the current operations and manufacturing teams with a mandate and budget for future additional hires in the coming quarters.
- Partner with CEO, Chief Commercial Officer and VP of Product to bring next-generation solutions to market while aligning with an ambitious product roadmap requiring the critical need for delivering exceptional leadership for operations, manufacturing and quality assurance.
- Manage supply chain, drive and improve QA process and deliverables, manage and improve production, evaluate and manage ERP system, build manufacturing/sales/finance models, and build out/hire additional operations functions.
Skills, Knowledge, and Competencies:
- Bachelor's degree required or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience as VP or equivalent prior roles leading any of the following: VP
- Manufacturing, VP Operations, VP Quality/Supply Chain/Procurement/Sourcing/Materials and
- Director/VP of Commercialization.
- Experience in the chemicals industry, ideally specialty chemicals, coatings, nanotechnology, fluid membranes or water remediation.
- Experience scaling a growth stage VC or PE-backed business (between $5-25M).
- Prior experience working in a VC backed company.
- Previous exit experience selling a VC backed company to a strategic or financial acquirer.
- A passion and commitment to the environment and making a significant impact in the industry.
Finally, this individual should have as many as possible of the traits required to succeed in this leadership position:
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength, and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate demanding standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals' capabilities and development needs.
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Unquestioned honesty and integrity; also, loyalty to colleagues and to the organization, and the ability to inspire loyalty. This person should have the ability to identify and focus on the
- Company's best interests, rather than the agenda of any individual or group within the firm.
- A very high level of energy and commitment, combined with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- In general, the business and personal skills, and the absolute commitment, required to make a major contribution to The Company during the coming years.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and actions consistent with our client's values. Our client is seeking a Chief Operating Officer who will report to and partner with the CEO to scale the company in its next phase of rapid growth as it deploys its game-changing technology. Key to the position's responsibilities will be to lead all the operational, development, and manufacturing functions of the company as well as leading and growing a current team of 10+ people.
Our client's team numbers 17 employees. This role will report to the CEO and will oversee a team of approximately 10 in total.
Compensation is competitive with the position's requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on individual and corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and stock appreciation rights.
To Submit Resume: