- Chief Operating Officer (North America)
- Reporting to: President, North America
- Location: New York, NY OR Sparks, MD
BSG has commenced an executive search for Chief Operating Officer (North America) for our client, a retail sportswear manufacturer brand. The COO will oversee the Global Supply Chain & Operations, Information Technology, and Human Resources functions for the our client's North American division of the organization, with approximately half a dozen direct reports and an overall team of 150 employees.
Chief Operating Officer (North America)
Our client's company was created in the early 1900's as a family run business in Norther Italy, making clothes (primarily underwear) for the people of the Italian Alps. The brand became more popular in the 1970's as the company moved its focus into sportswear with the endorsement of famous tennis players. Today, our client manufactures sportswear for men, women, kids, and athletes. The original Italian ownership shop sold the company to a US hedge fund in 2003. The hedge fund owned the shop through a holding company, which owned and operated all of the brands businesses around the world, with the exception of one in Asia, which was a separate company operating the brand under license. In January 2007, the global brand and all its international subsidiaries were acquired by this Asian business, making it one of the largest sportswear companies. Our client currently holds all of the rights to the worldwide use of footwear and clothing brands of the parent firm. The product line is sold through the brand's website and at major and specialty retail stores, such as Dick's, Foot Locker, Kohl's, Urban Outfitters, Barneys, Bloomingdales, and Nordstrom.
Over 100 years later, our client's brand still emphasizes performance together with sophistication. Still worn and admired by famous competitive athletes and today's fashion setters, our client's brand uses high end, flexible, and performance materials that still reflect the sophisticated Italian craftsmanship.
Reporting to the President of North America, the Chief Operating Officer will oversee the Global Supply Chain & Operations, Information Technology, and Human Resources functions for the our client's North American division of the organization, with approximately half a dozen direct reports and an overall team of 150 employees. The COO will provide leadership, management, and vision to ensure that the company delivers exceptional operational and supply chain outcomes to meet aggressive growth objectives. This includes driving performance in all operational and supply chain disciplines (sourcing, production, planning, distribution, logistics, etc.). The Chief Operating Officer will also provide oversight for the Information Technology and Human Resources functions and will ensure successful implementation of many highly visible projects deemed critical for organization..
Specific Responsibilities & Key Deliverables:
- Partner with President and senior leadership team to retain the same design/development/production agility for which they've become known, with a parallel strength in global supply chain, warehouse, and distribution capabilities.
- With responsibility over IT: Drive new ERP system implementation and success, establishing a real-time dashboard of KPI's that will serve as the vitals for the health of business operations, sales, design, and sourcing.
- With responsibility over HR: Recruit and enable the creation of a strong learning and development program for all functions within the organization that will power the success in continued growth of the business, both top and bottom line.
- Partner with President and senior leadership team to evaluate current structure and strategies of the organization to ensure continued growth and success.
Competencies Required for Success:
- Experience working in businesses between $200m and $500m+ during career:
- Family-owned company experience highly desired
- Non-US based corporate parent highly desired
- Current experience or past history working in fashion industry or consumer goods companies (non-perishable).
- Global Supply Chain function oversight experience, with deep understanding of Distribution/Warehouse Operations, 3rd Party Manufacturing & Sourcing and Distribution & Logistics.
- Information Technology oversight experience at some point in career:
- ERP and/or CRM systems implementation experience
- Human Resources oversight experience at some point in career:
- Learning & Development program implementation experience
- APICS certifications (CPIM, CSCP, or CLTD).
- B.A. or B.S. required; M.B.A. or other advanced degree strongly preferred.
- High levels of intelligence, analytical strength and conceptual ability.
- The ability, and willingness, to set and communicate high standards for professional staff and to hold people accountable for their performance; at the same time, sensitivity to, and insight into individuals' capabilities and development needs, and the combination of firmness and likability that all good leaders possess.
- Decisiveness when necessary, coupled with a willingness to seek input and build consensus as much as possible.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills; this individual must be able to communicate complex ideas and information clearly and concisely.
- Outstanding planning and organization skills.
- Good strategic instincts and long-term vision; the ability to address both big-picture issues and detailed, day-to-day management concerns.
- A sense of ownership, not just of his or her own work, or that of their department, but a sense of ownership for the company as a whole.
- Demonstrated success as a people leader, including the ability to set and gain buy-in for strategic direction and vision, attract, hire, retain, and develop high performing teams, and establish an engaging culture of accountability, quality, and customer focus.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
A summary of key competencies required to be successful include the following:
- Operations/Supply Chain
- Staffing, oversight and reporting
- Global Supply Chain
- Contract Manufacturing
- Sourcing from APAC
- Customs Management
- Warehouse/DC Management
- Wholesale Distribution and Shipping/Logistics
- Inventory Management
- Metrics and KPI development/Dashboard creation
- Staffing, oversight and reporting
- ERP systems Implementation & process automation
- Staffing, oversight and reporting
- Learning & development program management (launch to execution)
- Other functions may report into this role as determined
- Fashion industry (apparel and footwear)
- Consumer goods (non-disposable)
- Make-up/cosmetics (durable/longer lasting)
- Optimizer leader AND builder leader
- Public and/or private company experience (some privately held experience strongly desired)
- $200m+ company revenue experience
- Experience working for organizations with parent company based outside US
MANAGEMENT & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- Experience reporting to CEO/President in past (VP or C level)
- Experience leading team of significant size
- Successful history meeting and exceeding KPI's and key metrics for organizations
- Multi-Site management experience
- Passion for and prior history of creating high performing teams
- "Player-coach" approach to management/leadership
- Defined by others as smart, capable, hands-on, energetic, and someone who possess a strong entrepreneurial spirit
The North American team currently numbers approximately 250+ employees. This role will report to the CEO and will oversee a significant portion of the North American staff.
Compensation is competitive with the position's requirements. In a performance-based environment, this will include base salary, bonus structure based on individual and corporate qualitative and quantitative strategic KPIs, and long term incentive plan.
To Submit Resume: